My Supply

What to do if your water leaves stains, slime or mould in your kitchen or bathroom

Sometimes you may notice that your water leaves stains or a slimy residue on surfaces.

This can take the form of orange stains in areas where water drips, gathers or pools in your bathroom. You may also notice similar areas in the soap drawer and around the door seal of your washing machine. Or you may notice bits in your water that feel slimy to touch.

This is caused by naturally occurring mould spores in the atmosphere that grow in damp places. They’re not from the water supply itself. They may look unpleasant, but they’re not harmful.

These mould spores feed on soaps, aerosols, air fresheners and cleaning products. You’ll often find them in areas where you see limescale.

You can remove the mould spores by cleaning the area thoroughly with a mild bleach or sodium bicarbonate solution. However, any missed spores will cause the mould to return.

If you live in a hard water area, you’re more likely to see limescale on your taps and kettles. It’s a good idea to remove limescale where you find it, as this provides a good habitat for the moulds to grow. Removing the limescale will reduce the chance of the mould developing.

It’s best if you use air fresheners and aerosols as little as possible too, as they provide nutrients for the mould to grow.

Finally, improve ventilation so your bathroom doesn’t get damp for long. Leave a window open for a while or fit an extractor fan and use that during and after you have a bath or shower.



Select from the glasses below and find out more about why your water may be discoloured and what you can do: