In My Area

What to do during flooding

There are several different types of flooding.The first thing you’ll need to do is make sure you’re able to contact the right people to help you.

Contact the right organisation for help

You’ll need to contact the right organisation for help during different flooding types.

Contact your council for flooding on roads, small rivers and streams

You should contact your local council to report flooding on roads or blocked drains or grates on highways.

Your local council will also help you with:

  • Groundwater flooding
  • Flooding in streams, brooks and small rivers

Contact the Environment Agency for major river flooding

The Environment Agency will be able to help you if you are at risk of flooding due to rising river levels.

You should report major river flooding to the Environment Agency.

Contact us about sewer flooding or flooding due to burst pipes

You should contact us immediately if you experience flooding from sewers.

If the flooding is due to heavy rain we may need to wait for the flood water to subside before we can investigate.

You should also contact your insurer so they can give you help and advice.

How to identify sewer flooding

To make sure you report flooding to the right organisation, you’ll need to know what to look for.

Because we can only help you with sewer flooding, here’s how you can identify sewer flooding.


Wastewater flooding will contain toilet paper and human waste

It’s not something you ever want to see, but if you notice sewer debris such as toilet paper or poo in the flood water then it’s most likely be a sewer flooding incident.

If you see water and debris coming from under a manhole cover, this is likely to be sewer flooding.

Contact your insurer

After you’ve contacted the right organisation for help, you should get in touch with your insurer to let them know what’s happened. They can:

  • Arrange a professional clean up
  • Replace anything that’s damaged
  • Arrange alternative accommodation

If you don’t tell your insurer about something like sewer flooding, it could invalidate your policy in the future.