Shared supply separation

A shared or joint supply is where a group of homes connect to our network at the same point.

This means all properties share responsibility for repair and maintenance of the pipework.

Contact Developer Services

Whether it's a large or small development, our team is here to answer any questions you have about your building project.

How to find out if you're on a shared supply

If you live in a terraced house or apartment, you may have a shared supply.

You can check if you're on a shared supply by checking for external stop taps. The external stop tap is usually located in the pavement or on the boundary of your property.

If there is an external stop tap for every home then you're on single supply.

If there is only one external stop tap for a block of houses then you share a supply with your neighbours.

Leaving a shared supply

If you experience intermittent, poor flow, it could be a sign that you share a supply.

The flow to your home may improve if you switch to a single supply.  

To leave a shared supply, you will need to arrange a new connection with us. An accredited plumber must install your private pipework.

After the pipework is installed, we will inspect it and check it meets the right standards.

It's vital that we check and approve any new private pipework before connection, so we can make sure it's safe to use.

If you're an existing Severn Trent customer and your water bill is based on your property rateable value, when you apply for a new connection, you can choose for your bill re remain linked to rateable value or based on actual usage via meter readings.  

We'll install a meter external in the boundary box to help us monitor usage in each area and assist with leakage identification on private supply pipes. These meters will monitor our pipes, but they’ll also show if there’s a leak on your pipework. If we spot the signs of a leak on their pipes, we’ll let you know so you can take steps to get it fixed before it causes any damage to your property.

Test your flow

There's a simple test you can do at home to check if you have poor flow or low pressure.

To carry out this test, you'll need to know where your internal stop tap is. This is usually under the kitchen sink or in a utility room.

If it takes longer that seven seconds to fill the jug, you may have a problem with your flow or pressure.  

Possible causes of low pressure and poor flow

There are several different causes of pressure and flow issues, including:

There are some steps you can take to narrow down the cause before reporting the issue to us.

Application for the supply separation scheme

If your low flow or poor pressure is due to being on a shared supply, you can apply to switch to a single supply.

The application is a six-step process.