Building and Developing
Requirements for working near a small main
What you need to include in your plans for working close to a small watermain.
Share your detailed plans
You must share your plans with our Asset Protection Team.
This must include:
- a detailed design and construction method statement
- contingency plans in case you damage the pipe
- sequence of works
- the depth you intend to lay the main
- details of steps you'll take to protect the pipe and our assets
- how you'll construct and maintain pipe protection measures
- storm and foul construction details with applicable method of construction
- details of any demolition work
- street lighting details
- information on any earth or noise bunds
Confirm the line and level of your main
Precautions, conditions and requirements
There are many things you need to keep in mind when laying a small water main.
You must make sure you have suitable insurance to cover you for damage to our assets.
You or your contractor must ensure the safety of our equipment and are responsible for the cost of repairing damage.
We will charge you for any damage to our assets.
The Health and Safety pack for the site must have our contact details in it. In the event of an emergency you should call us on 0800 783 4444.
You must consider height and width of vehicles and machinery that may need to access the asset in future. You must make sure a suitable working environment and access is available for us to repair, renew and maintain the asset.
Tree planting on site
It important that any trees, bushes and shrubs planted on the site will not damage the pipe and other assets as they grow.
You must make sure any plants are the required distance from pipes and assets if you're planting trees, bushes or shrubs.
As you complete the project, we may inspect the work to check all is compliant.
After the inspection, we'll let you know if there is anything you need to do.
Contact the Asset Protection Team
The Asset Protection team help commercial developers to understand and plan what needs to be done when working near our pipes and other infrastructure.
You can contact the Asset Protection team by email and phone.
- Email the Asset Protection team at email@example.com
- Call the Asset Protection team on 02477 716185
The team are available:
- Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5pm
- Friday: 9am to 4.30pm
Please leave a voicemail if you're unable to get through to the team or call outside office hours. We'll do our best to get back to you the next working day.