What to do if you have a blocked drain

Blocked pipes can stop used water draining away, which can be unpleasant to deal with and something you’ll want to get sorted quickly.

If you think you might have a blocked pipe or drain, there are some key signs to look out for. If you have a blockage, you’ll notice: 

Responsibility for clearing blockages

The responsibility for sewer pipes is split between us – the water company – and the homeowner.

There are a couple of quick ways you can find out if the blockage is in your private pipework or not.

Clearing blockages on your sewer pipes

Report sewer blockages to us

If there’s a blockage in our sewer network that’s affecting your property and possibly your neighbours, report the problem to us so we can get it fixed as soon as possible.

You can report a blockage by messaging us on WhatsApp or SMS, or you can call us on 0800 783 4444. We’re here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you have a mobile device you can send a video of your issue through Vyn. One of our technicians will review the video and give you a call back within five working days. 

There are a few different reasons why blockages occur, but they're most often caused by items such as wet wipes and sanitary products that are flushed down the toilet, or by leftover cooking fats and oils poured down the kitchen sink. These items stick together and over time they build up and block pipes and drains.

Our drains and sewers are only designed to carry human waste, wastewater and loo roll from your toilets and the used water from your sinks, baths and showers. You should put anything else, including wet wipes or sanitary products, in the bin.

There are steps you can take to help avoid blockages caused by kitchen and bathroom waste.

Never get rid of paint or medicine by pouring them down the drain or flushing them down the loo. Items like paint or medicine should always be disposed of safely using a hazardous waste disposal service. You can find a hazardous waste disposal service through your local council.