Wonderful on Tap
Coronavirus (Covid-19) update
This visitor site is open with restrictions in place
This site is now open - there are extra measures in place to protect your wellbeing and the safety of other visitors, the local community and our teams.
If you visit this site, please observe social distancing, check opening times, follow any new measures we put in place, and stay local. Do not travel long distances to visit the site.
All footpaths will be open
Limited toilet facilities are available but please expect to queue.
Car parks are open but we advise not travelling too far to avoid disappointment as the area is experiencing high visitor numbers and most car parks are full to capacity.
The food kiosk is open for takeaway only with social distancing measures in place.
- Maintain a distance of at least 2 metres from other visitors and staff
- Respect any instructions or signage - they're there to keep you safe
- Look after those with you - keep dogs on leads and children close by
- Maintain good hygiene and avoid touching hard surfaces
Upper Derwent Valley
Did you know?
The Derwent, Howden and Ladybower Reservoirs that make up the Upper Derwent Valley are situated in the stunning Peak District National Park in Derbyshire.
About Upper Derwent Valley
- The reservoirs were created in the early 20th Century to provide 10,000 million gallons of water for the growing urban population in the East Midlands and South Yorkshire.
- Over 1000 people were involved in building the reservoirs and were housed in the temporary ‘Tin Town’ at Birchinlee.
- There are the flooded of villages of Derwent and Ashopton – when water levels are low, you may get a glimpse of the village remains.
- The settlements of Derwent and Ashopton were abandoned to make way for the reservoirs and the imposing neo-gothic dams were built in the deep valley to contain and control the fast flowing moorland rivers.
- The Derwent, Howden and Ashopton Resevoirs were in fact once the training site of the famous Dambusters Squadron.
Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction