My Supply

What to do if you experience sewer flooding

It can be stressful if sewage floods your home. Here’s what you need to do if you experience sewer flooding at your property.

Let us know

First, you need to tell us about the flooding. Then we can help you work out what caused it.

You can contact our team to report sewer flooding.

We’re here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Contact your insurer

After you’ve contacted us, get in touch with your insurer.

They’ll be able to tell you how to clean up, disinfect your home and replace damaged property. If a private drain caused the flooding, it will be up to you to arrange a clean-up.

Speak to your insurance company about claims for any loss or damage. If you don’t contact them, you may not be able to claim in the future.

If you rent your home, you should also contact your landlord or letting agent.

What we'll do

We will send someone to investigate whether a public sewer or private drain was the cause.

If our public sewer caused the flood, we will carry out a basic clean-up.

We’ll remove any excess liquids or solids left behind. In the case of external flooding, we can also carry out an initial disinfection of the area.

We're not able to do anything that may risk causing further damage to your property. Therefore, you will need to arrange a thorough clean-up by professional cleaners through your insurance company.

You can find out more about sewer flooding [PDF] in our handy guide.

If you are experiencing any other kind of flooding, other organisations may be responsible for helping to deal with it and support you. Make sure you know who to contact for each different type of flooding.

Get in touch now if you need to report an incident of sewer flooding

If your query is urgent, call our 24-hour Customer Centre on 0800 783 4444.