Help and Contact

My account is in credit - how do I claim my refund?

Giving refunds

If you've recently moved house and your account for your old address is in credit, we will send you a refund within 14 days. You don't need to contact us - we'll send it automatically. If your account is in credit because you have paid too much - please contact us to request a refund. We'll do this for you within 14 days.

Phone (expands content) (collapses content)

Emergencies (24hrs)

0800 783 4444

Billing Enquiries

0345 750 0500

Email (expands content) (collapses content)

Feel free to email us with any enquiries

Contact us
Languages (expands content) (collapses content)

Get help in your preferred language

Other languages