Building and Developing

Temporary supply

From 1st April, the water retail market for business customers is changing, customers have the freedom to choose who provides their retail services such as billing.

Where the property to be connected is for a non-household customer, you will need to choose a retailer before connection.  If you do not choose a retailer, then one will be allocated. Show Homes, temporary building supplies and site welfare facilities are eligible to switch between retailers, and although these connections are temporary, they still need a retailer.  For more information on the changes and advice on how to choose a retailer, please visit the Open Water website.

If you are developing a site and require water for building purposes then you may want to consider applying for a temporary water supply to the site.


The most common way to get a water supply is to connect a service pipe from the existing water main to your site. In most built up areas there is a water main in the road or footpath nearby which you can connect to. In more rural areas this may be further away and require a longer service pipe to be laid.

A temporary connection can either be disconnected when the work is complete or it can be used for a domestic water supply once the property is constructed. You'll need to advise us which is the case when you apply. You are responsible for notifying us if and when this supply is ready to be disconnected if it is only a temporary connection.

You’re responsible for laying the new service pipe to the boundary of the site or to within a reasonable distance of the nearest main. You'll need to install a tap at the end of the service pipe and ensure it is within a lockable box.

Applying for a temporary supply works in the same way as applying for a standard connection for a new property.

An alternative to a new connection would be to hire a stand pipe whilst the works are taking place (details of this can be found at the bottom of this page).

How to get connected to an existing water main

How to get connected to existing water mains by reading our detailed step-by step process and things you need to know before you apply.


It's unlikely that you would apply for a temporary sewer connection.

If there's a temporary need to remove sewage from site cabins or to remove groundwater from a development site then this can be done by a tanker and pump. We cannot accept ground water into the public sewer. Any connection to the existing public sewer would need to be applied for and we need to approve the connection before it can go ahead.

Find out more about how to get connected to the public sewer

Find out more about how to get connected to the public sewer by reading our detailed step-by step process and things you need to know before you apply.

Do You Need a Standpipe Instead?

A standpipe is a free standing pipe which is fitted with a tap. This can be attached to an existing hydrant to get a water supply to a site. Find out more.

Get in touch

Call us: 0800 707 6600