Building and Developing

Shared supply separation scheme

A shared or joint supply is where a group of homes connect to our network at the same point. This means all properties share responsibility for repair and maintenance of the pipework.

How to find out if you're on a shared supply

If you live in a terraced house or apartment, you may have a shared supply.

You can check if you're on a shared supply by checking for external stop taps. The external stop tap is usually located in the pavement or on the boundary of your property.

If there is an external stop tap for every home then you're on single supply.

If there is only one external stop tap for a block of houses then you share a supply with your neighbours.

Leaving a shared supply

If you experience intermittent, poor flow, it could be a sign that you share a supply.

The flow to your home may improve if you switch to a single supply.  

To leave a shared supply, you will need to arrange a new connection with us. An accredited plumber must install your private pipework.

After the pipework is installed, we will inspect it and check it meets the right standards.

It's vital that we check and approve any new private pipework before connection, so we can make sure it's safe to use.

Application for the supply separation scheme

If your low flow or poor pressure is due to being on a shared supply, you can apply to switch to a single supply. The application is a six-step process.